Volunteers and Students Policy
- Policy Statement
- Strategies for Implementation
- Legislation and Considerations
- Sources and Related Policies
- POLICY STATEMENT
Visitors to the Centre are a regular occurrence. Family members or potential families want to visit a service when deciding on care for their children. Students attend practicum periods, volunteers may choose to spend time in the service along with maintenance personnel, educators and staff from other services and other authorised volunteers.
The presence of visitors at the Centre must be monitored and documented.
The Centre encourages student and volunteer participations as we are committed to assisting students gain valuable experience in early childhood settings.
The Centre will ensure:
- Records relating to visitors and students to our service will be maintained.
- Educators and staff will abide by regulatory protocol when visitors are in the service.
- STRATEGIES FOR IMPLEMENTATION
The Nominated Supervisor will:
- Maintain a visitors book and request sign in of all visitors to the service;
- Ensure educators and staff understand the regulatory and ethical guidelines relating to visitors at the centre and will provide an induction protocol for all staff to use with visitors;
- Keep a record of all volunteers and students who spend time in the service. The record will include: full name; address; date of birth; date and hours of each volunteer or student who participates in the program;
- Be aware of protocols and guidance supplied by universities, TAFEs or RTOs in relation to participating students.
Educators and staff will:
- Welcome visitors to the Centre and seek information on their reason for visiting;
- Direct visitors appropriately and make the Nominated or Certified Supervisor aware of a visitor presence in the service;
- Welcome family and friends to visit and participate at any time.
- Be aware of who they are providing access to the Centre for when they enter themselves and are requested to be aware of unknown visitors and to direct them accordingly.
- LEGISLATION AND CONSIDERATIONS
- Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010
- Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011 – 149, 168 & 177
- National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care 2011 – 7.3.5
- SOURCES AND RELATED POLICIES
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations – www.deewr.gov.au
- Early Childhood Australia – www.earlychildhoodaustralia. org.au
- Community Child Care Co-operative Ltd (NSW) – www.ccccnsw.org.au
- Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Staff Code of Conduct Policy
Policy adopted: 14 March 2016
For review: September 2017